Monday 16 July 2012

Boobs = interest = sale = $


Firstly, let me say a sincere thank you to those lovely readers who gave me suggestions to get me out of my book-rut.


Carol, yes prices of books are plummeting.    Great as a buyer, but not as a seller.   Fishpond is like a very basic version of Amazon.  I can't sell on Amazon as they won't make payments to Australian bank accounts (the last time I looked).


Maggie, I like your idea of keeping your store stocked with lots of different items.   Then I can open my shop to a new range of customers.  At the moment, I hardly even get a sale on Fridays/Saturdays.  I'd like to change it - and have my store selling 7 days a week.  After all, it is open 7 days a week!


Yvette, thanks, the idea of just starting with exercise outfits / accessories is also excellent one.    Being allergic to exercise should not harm me there.  *I* will not be the intended victim.  And as you say, they are very easy to wrap and post.   I'm already with Ebay Underground (the BEST place ever), and will also join Thrifting with the Boys that you mentioned.


Miss Maggie, your idea of asking the op-shops to keep videos aside for me and paying them money, if they no longer wanted to stock them, is a fantastic idea.  And one I will try out this week.   One of my op-shops that cleared out the videos are now re-stocking them.  I think they must have just wanted to clean out those that had been sitting there.    (Ms Maggie I must reply to your kind offer on Ebug).


I'm going to try looking at clothes tomorrow.  So I'll show you what weird things I pick up.


No shoes though, I have a thing about touching other people's used shoes.


OK, so I went shopping for stock last week.  I told myself that I would no longer buy piles of crime/romance books because they are only 20 cents each, and I have this magical idea that they will sell in bulk lots.   No more, none of that.   I decided to only look out for unusual / sure sellers.


I found boobs were popping up a lot this week in my ebay world.    And I don't mean I was staring in the mirror, poking my own naughty pillows and giggling like a mad thing.   Oh, I did come across an arse too - I hope I've still got the photo.   ;-)
It's a good thing I'm easily amused.

I poked around at my local op-shop and came across a couple of interesting books.

This one was my favourite, I almost squealed with delight when I looked at it.  I thought it might have been a vintage cookbook - but it was even better than that.


The title is hard to read - it is "The Fabulous Feminique Program For Developing a Beautiful Bust."



Printed in 1969 - it's a rip-snorter.  Loookeee - one of the exercises is lifting a raw chicken in a tray.  So the next time you're making a roast - be sure to do a few lifts and you'll be looking perkier in no time.


I also found this one:


This was printed in 1979.  It's huge with over 320 pages of photos of model farm toys and their value then.  A truck collecting nerd will love this.  It's a US-based book, so I'll be sure to include international postage, but it's going to cost a fortune to post overseas.


Then I hit my local junk/$2 shop to get a birthday card and was confronted with this item.  I took a photo with my phone, but I was laughing too much and it was blurry.  Fortunately I found a photo of one on the internet:


What do you think this might be?
It's a breast massager.  


I kid you not.  For a whole $5.   Between this and lifting my roast chicken in and out of the oven, I could have norgs so perky I could rest my head on them.


Then on to my mid-week op-shops, my eyes beheld these.  
Lovely shorts.  And only $2.   These stayed on the rack when I left, but came home on my new mobile phone!  This was the first photo I took with my new phone.  How long can I uphold this high standard of living?


I visited one of my op shops that had thrown out all their videos.  They had 2 cardboard boxes full of recently-donated videos sitting outside.  A lot of them were TV shows that had been recorded onto blank videos.  I trawled through them and got some video gold according to my "Golden Rules of Videos."


Evidence # 1 - Crappy B-grade horror movies - mostly rated R.  Even though one had a rental sticker describing it as "Art House", I was not fooled.   Nobody in their right mind would distribute these on DVD.  Check.

Let's turn them over and do a quick tittie check.


Bingo.  One comes up trumps here.


Evidence # 2 - Not Rated R - but quirky titles are a plus - how could I pass up "Blacula!" and "Stuff Stephanie In the Incinerator."   These make me feel all warm and fuzzy.


Evidence # 3 - The idea of even looking at these movies makes me want to eat my own head.
Check.   Check.

Well, I'm off to put a roast chicken in the oven multiple times.


5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some good ideas going forward. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. the farm machinery book looks like it might engage a bidding war, if it were to be auctioned?? There's huge interest in John Deere & farm tractors/trucks, etc., in this country. I wear gloves when handling shoes...some of my best/favorite & fastest flips have been women's boots (Eddie Bauer wide calf knee-high) that I paid $4 and Immediately sold for $85--(wide-calf hard to find) Guess high-heel red stilettos-paid $4/ sold $79-- vintage YSL red high heel peep-toes $85 (paid $4 as well.) I use to be a "no-shoes" person but it was eBug that changed my thinking--now I head for the shoe department as there is profit there if you know how to go about it! Speaking for myself...I do not bother with shoes that have issues. I have seen on eBug lots of sellers that spend much time "reconditioning" shoes. I want to spend minimal time doing that--I will give a light polish to perk them up--but I am not spending major time on them. So I buy mostly good looking shoes. One exception--never, ever walk away from a pair of vintage cowboy boots--unless they are beyond redemption. I will spend time on cowboy boots because it will pay me back in profit. Nice post Karina--your observations crack-me-up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's right.That tractor book will probably start a bidding war.There is a nice pocket of people who collect John Deere,but there's also a bunch of people who collect tractor toys.I wonder if you'll get more interest if you put it in the tractor toy category as well as the books.
    That breast enhancement book cracked me up.Remember the old saying.."We must,We must, We must increase our bust" LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lurve the tractor book... and, my daughter would love the videos - she's at that age right now where vampires/horror/creepie rule OK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of my best sales have been vintage WAY OUT there products. It never ceases to amaze me what people would buy or should I say by into.. LOL I have added you to my blogroll. I hope you will do the same. I always look forward to your new posts. Jen at www.msjokerstoybox.com

    ReplyDelete